I would do anything for my kids. Move heaven and earth for them. I have stayed up all night perfecting presents, I have held vigil in their beds when they are sick, I have cleaned up so many horrible things that came out of their bodies, and daily I make sure they are clothed, fed, healthy, and happy. I do it all because I love them. I make them a priority. I, like you, make a lot of things a priority...but not usually myself. Sound familiar?
Parents...and maybe moms in particular need a moment...a moment to ourselves. I love it when it is quiet late at night and I can read or watch something that is inappropriate for younger eyes or I can blog.
I never put myself first. I bet you don't either.
Part of my neglect of myself is to let things I care about go first...
- Too busy this morning to eat or have a cup of hot coffee? I will grab some kid snack later or I will slurp down that cold coffee.
- No time to workout? Oh, I can do that later. When? Who knows!
- Can't carve out a little bit of time for me to get my hair done, or to get myself something, or to have a moment.
- And sadly I let Posing as Parents go all the time. I care about this blog, but if I run short on time, energy, or even patience this is the first to go.
Why? I would be so mad at my kids if they treated themselves the way I treat myself.
I would love to make a sweeping statement about how the buck stops here...things are going to change from now on...etc. But that isn't sustainable is it? So instead I am going to make a pledge of sorts to myself to help me focus on what is important.
A Focus for Me (and you, yes you)
- Making Myself a Priority-You KNOW it is important and it is what you would want for any one you love. You got to love yourself yo and make you a big deal. What do want? What do you love? What brings you joy? What feeds your soul?
You are going to fail, that is okay. Keep trying.
You are #1, baby!